Cooking with Laurie - Tequila Fuego Wrap
By Laurie Figone
Those of you who know me, know that I love FiRE…lighting food on fire at the dining table always seems to impress. This idea hit me like a lightning bolt…why not melt my cheese with FlAMiNG Tequila?!
This recipe was created by me for the upcoming “First Annual World Wrapped Cooking Competition” held during the Sonoma County Harvest Fair. It features local Clover Cheese and La Tortilla Factory Tortillas. A spin of a chimichanga, only wrapped in bacon before deep frying, it’s filled with my “Tequila Lime Pork” and “Blood Peach Salsa”…better grab some napkins.
Tequila Lime Pork
- 1 3lb. pork shoulder, bone-in
- Chipotle Chili Powder
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 limes, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- Sea salt, to taste
- Rub pork with chipotle chili powder and minced garlic. Place in Crock Pot. Top with sliced limes and sprinkle with sea salt. Add Tequila to fill ½ inch depth in bottom of Crock Pot. Set heat to high. Once ingredients are simmering, turn heat to low and cook until the meat is easily shreddable. Note: It will take approx. 6 hours. I like to turn mine over every two hours so the tequila flavor really gets into the meat.
- Remove meat from Crock Pot and let cool or refrigerate overnight. Shred with a fork or pull apart with your hands, removing fat as you go.
- Refrigerate shredded pork until ready to assemble wraps.
Blood Peach Salsa
- 4 cups diced Blood Peaches (note: with their seasonal availability, other peaches may be substituted.)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate until assembly time.
Tequila Fuego Wrap
- 8 flour tortillas, burrito size
- Shredded Tequila Lime Pork
- 4 cups shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- 8 fresh jalapenos
- Blood Peach Salsa
- 16 slices hickory smoked bacon
- 32 toothpicks
- Oil, for deep frying
- Grill jalapenos until blistered and browned. Cool. Remove skin. Cut off stem, slice in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds (leave in the seeds for a little more fuego).
- Assemble wraps: In the center of each tortilla layer about ½ cup pork, 2 jalapeno pieces, 1/3 cup cheese, 3 TBSP. peach salsa. Roll up burrito style.
- Wrap each burrito with 2 slices of bacon, securing each bacon end with a toothpick.
- Fill a deep pot with cooking oil to a depth of 6 inches. Heat to 375’. (Note: use a thermometer for the oil, maintaining the proper heat is important.)
- Carefully drop wraps into hot oil, cooking 2 at a time, and cook for 1 minute per side. The bacon should look nice and crispy.
- Remove to a paper towel lined pan. Continue cooking wraps, two at a time, keeping them warm in the oven until ready to serve.
- Place cooked wraps on a large serving platter. Top evenly with remaining shredded cheese.
- Heat ½ cup Tequila, in a glass measuring cup, in the microwave for 15 seconds. Immediately, light the Tequila on fire and pour over the shredded cheese…your cheese will melt and your guests will be impressed!!
Serve with remaining salsa. Ole’