Tailgating 49er Style
By Laurie Figone
I just returned from an all-expense paid trip to Pasadena with two tickets to the BCS National Playoff Game at the Rose Bowl. I won the First Annual Cookoff Before Kickoff Tailgate Recipe Contest.
Inspiration for my winning ‘Cookoff Before Kickoff’ tailgate recipe was easy; I’m all about using fresh, local ingredients. Dungeness crab is in season, I love sourdough French bread and the S.F. Forty-niners. I put everything together and came up with “San Francisco 49er Surf & Turf Tailgate Style.” Grilled sourdough French bread topped with grilled medium-rare Filet Mignon, topped with my Chardonnay Sauce, fresh Dungeness crab and then drizzled with my Homemade Louie Dressing. Go Niners!!
San Francisco 49ers Surf & Turf Tailgate Style
This submarine sandwich is ScReAmInG San Francisco…fresh Dungeness crab and Sourdough French Bread…ohhhlala!! Oh, did I forget to mention…perfectly grilled Filet Mignon, Chardonnay Sauce and Louie Dressing…Let’s get this party started
1 lb. Filet Mignon
2 fresh cooked Dungeness crab, approx. 2 lbs. each (3 cups shelled crab meat)
3 TBSP. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 loaf Sourdough French Bread
Chardonnay Sauce (recipe follows)
Louie dressing (recipe follows)
- Rub filets with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Set aside until grilling time.
- Shell crab. Keep crab in refrigerator until assembly.
- Heat grill to 400’. Split French bread down the middle lengthwise. Brush each cut half with olive oil. Grill bread, cut side down until nicely toasted. Remove from grill until assembly time. Grill filets until medium-rare, about 5 minutes per side, turning once.
- Let meat sit for 5 minutes. Slice, against the grain, into thin strips. Layer evenly on top of grilled bread. Drizzle with Chardonnay Sauce.
- Divide crab meat evenly over grilled meat. Drizzle with Louie Dressing. Sprinkle with a little chopped parsley for garnish.
- Slice and serve.
Makes 10 Servings
2 cups Chardonnay wine
½ cup butter
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup fresh minced parsley
1 Tbsp. freshly minced garlic
- Simmer Chardonnay over low heat until reduced to 1 cup (takes about 20 minutes). Stir in butter, until melted. Add Worcestershire, parsley and garlic. Keep sauce warm until serving or reheat when ready to assemble.
½ cup mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. ketchup
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
Stir together until blended. Refrigerate until assembly.