My New Love - Ground Lamb
By Laurie Figone
Sure I love a good rack or perfectly roasted leg…but, Lamb Burgers ARE my new FAV!!! I met Kerry Williams of www.williamsranches.com at the Santa Rosa Farmers Market at the Wells Fargo Center when I went to pick up my Easter leg of lamb. While there, I eyed consumers purchasing her ground lamb meat…hmmmnnn…I had never eaten ground lamb and it peaked my interest. A few weeks later dining out in St. Helena, I noticed a lamb burger on the menu, I had to order it…and well, the rest is history…I fell in love with lamb burgers. I called Kerry ahead of time to make sure she would have ground lamb at the market, which was a good thing. She told me she has a hard time keeping up with the demand, although, 20 years ago it was not a mover, more people are eating lamb now than ever before.
Laurie’s Lamb Burgers With Secret Sauce
No cheese required on this burger…the lamb speaks for itself!!! Father and husband tested and approved. This is sure to be a hit on Father’s Day!!!
Makes: 6 Servings
3 lbs. Williams Ranches ground lamb
6 tsp. McCormick Grill Mates Hamburger Seasoning
6 hamburger buns
- Heat gas grill to 500’. Divide meat into ½ lb. portions, forming into a ball. Flatten each ball into a ¾ inch thick patty. Make a small indentation in the middle of each patty about ½ inch in diameter. Sprinkle each side of burger patties evenly with ½ tsp. of seasoning.
- Cook patties on heated grill, with lid shut, for 5 minutes on each side. Note: Only flip once and never press down on the top of your burger to check for doneness…you will lose all the juices.
- Remove burgers from grill and cover with foil. Grill buns until heated and browned; this step is very important; it adds texture and will help prevent your burger from becoming soggy. Once buns are nicely toasted, remove from heat and spread 1 TBSP. of Secret Sauce on each side. Add grilled lamb burger and serve immediately.
Warning: Napkins…or shirt sleeves required. This is one juicy burger!!!
Secret Sauce aka Parmesan-Oregano Aioli
1 ½ cups Best Foods Mayonnaise
½ cup parmesan cheese
3 TBSP. fresh oregano, finely chopped
2 TBSP. Dijon mustard
1 TBSP. horseradish
- Mix together in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use. You will have extra sauce to serve on the side.
Roasted Potato Medley with Kalamata Olives
A perfect accompaniment to Laurie’s Lamb Burgers.
Makes: 6 servings
2 lbs. baby potatoes; purple, Yukon gold and red
2 cups Kalamata olives, pitted, red wine-brined
2 TBSP. olive oil
½ tsp. garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 400’. Quarter potatoes lengthwise and toss with olives and olive oil. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Sprinkle evenly with garlic salt.
- Roast for 1 hour or until golden; stirring ½ ways through.
- Serve immediately.