Cooking with the Twin Chefs
Article and Photo By Lilly and Audrey, The Twin Chefs
This salad is a great way to celebrate all that is growing in the garden at this time of year! Taking inspiration from the Italian salad, we changed it up a little; instead of fried bread cubes, we baked ours for that nice crunch. We hope you enjoy!
Multi Grain Panzanella Salad
- 4 slices multi grain bread, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 1 cup red cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup yellow cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup English cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup red sweet pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup red onion, peeled and chopped
- 10 large basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- olive oil spray
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled and finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place the bread pieces on a rimmed baking sheet and lightly spray with olive oil spray. Sprinkle with salt and bake for 8 to 10 minutes until toasted and edges are brown, set croutons aside to cool.
- Make the vinaigrette by placing garlic, mustard, sherry vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper into a small jar with a tight fitting lid, shake to mix, set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together tomatoes, cucumber, sweet pepper, red onion, and basil, toss. Add croutons and vinaigrette to the salad, toss to coat evenly. Let salad sit for 10 minutes before serving. Serves 6