Cooking with the Twin Chefs
Article and Photo By Lilly and Audrey, The Twin Chefs
Inspired by all of the fresh veggies (and fruit) growing in our garden, we have created this seasonal pizza! So chances are you’ll be able to find the ingredients easily in your garden and local farmers market. We like to serve this as a starter at summer gatherings and you can also make it on the grill or pizza oven! We hope you enjoy!
Seasonal Pita Pizza
Serves 8, ½ pizza each
- 4- 7 inch whole wheat pita bread
- 1 sweet pepper (yellow or orange) thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups thinly sliced fennel, (about one small bulb)
- 1 cup quartered multicolored cherry tomatoes
- 1 small eggplant, sliced into ¼ inch rounds
- 1 cup whole basil leaves
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat a medium sauté pan to medium high heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add fennel and sauté stirring occasionally until edges are beginning to turn brown and caramelizing, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside. Repeat process with the sweet peppers, set aside. In the same pan add 1 tablespoon olive oil and brown the eggplant slices on each side, 1 to 2 minutes, lightly salt the pieces while sautéing, set aside. Quarter cherry tomatoes, set aside.
- Place two pita rounds on a baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Using half of the ingredients, divide on two pita rounds. Layer pita rounds with fennel, sweet pepper, eggplant, basil, cherry tomatoes and feta cheese. Drizzle on ½ teaspoon of olive oil over pizza, season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, until cheese has started to melt, remove from the oven, let cool for 5 minutes and cut into slices and serve. Repeat with other two pita rounds.