Johnny Walker’s Fantasy
By Laurie Figone
Honestly, what’s Butterscotch pudding without the Scotch?! This is my own creation of Butterscotch Pudding layered with Scotch infused Mousse and sprinkled with Smoked Almonds. The Smoked Almonds not only add texture, but that hint of saltiness that just…well, FaNtAsiZe for a moment.
This will make 9-½ cup servings. Note: I like to use the cute little 4 oz. jars.
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 3 cups half and half
- 4 egg yolks, room temperature
- ½ cup butterscotch morsels
- 2 TBSP. Johnny Walker Black Scotch
- ½ cup Smoked Almonds, chopped for garnish
- In a 3 quart heavy bottomed saucepan, blend together cornstarch and brown sugar. Slowly stir in half and half. Turn heat to medium-low, and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Note: This will take about 10 minutes. Lower heat and continue stirring for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Whisk together egg yolks. Very slowly, whisk ½ cup of hot mixture into yolks. Then, very slowly whisk yolk mixture back into the saucepan.
- Return to medium-low heat, stirring constantly, and bring just to a boil. Lower heat and cook for 1 minute, stirring.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in butterscotch morsels; stirring until completely melted. Stir in Scotch. Put pudding into a bowl and put a layer of plastic wrap right on the top of the pudding. Refrigerate until completely chilled.
Makes 3 ½ cups
- ½ tsp. gelatin
- 1 tsp. cold water
- 1 TBSP. Johnnie Walker Black Scotch
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Soften the gelatin with the cold water. Warm the Scotch in the microwave for 10 seconds. Stir into the gelatin, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Beat the cream with powdered sugar until it is fairly stiff. With mixer running, slowly add the scotch gelatin mixture and beat until mixture is stiff. Note: This happens very fast. Don’t overbeat.
Put a small layer of mousse in the bottom of each dessert cup/jar. Top with pudding, dividing pudding between 9-4 oz. dessert cups/jars. Top with remaining mousse. Refrigerate until serving time. At serving time, sprinkle each with chopped almonds.