Pumpkin Pepita Muffins
Article and Photo By Lilly and Audrey, The Twin Chefs
Fall is finally here, and it’s our all-time favorite season! The leaves are turning, the weather is getting chilly, and the mornings are especially foggy (and beautiful!). Not to mention, your favorite pumpkin themed treats are showing up everywhere! We wanted to add to the fun by creating these delicious and easy to make muffins.
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons roasted and salted pepitas
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add brown sugar, beating until fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each egg. Add in pumpkin and blend to combine. Next add buttermilk and vanilla extract and blend until combined. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir together in a separate bowl flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. On low blend flour mixture ¼ cup at a time into the pumpkin mixture until combined. (Do not overbeat) Add ½ cup pepitas to muffin mixture and blend on low until combined. Spoon batter into 12 lightly greased muffin cups, filling ¾ full. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 2 tablespoons of pepitas.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove muffins from pan immediately, and cool 10 minutes on a wire rack.