Photo By Lilly and Audrey, The Twin Chefs
This is a great recipe to make and take to BBQ’s, potlucks, and family gatherings. It’s easy to make and celebrates one of the best fruits of the season: apples! Although gala apples are one of our favorites (and native to California!) you can replace them with your favorite variety. Cardamom is a must in this recipe as it adds a fresh and summery twist to the traditional apple bake.
- Unsalted butter, at room temperature, for baking dish
- 3 pounds Gala apples, washed, cored and sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 pound cherries, pitted and halved
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 package prepared pie dough or ½ recipe Pâte brisée
- ½ cup all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 tsp Granulated sugar
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter a 9” x 13” baking dish; set aside. Combine apples, cherries, cardamom, brown sugar, and all-purpose flour in a large bowl, Place in prepared baking dish.
On a lightly floured work surface, roll out pie dough about 1/8 inch thick, slice into 2 -3 inch strips. Place over fruit mixture in a patch like pattern. Lightly brush dough with water, and sprinkle with granulated sugar, bake until crust is golden brown and the juices are bubbling about 50 minutes. Remove to a rack and let cool for 15 minutes. Serve warm, alone or with frozen yogurt or ice cream.