Brandt Insurance Your Resourceful Insurance Agent with Hometown Customer Service

Written By: Admin
Published: November 1, 2015

Brandt Insurance was started in 1962 by Milt Brandt. After contracting polio he was looking for a job that didn’t require physical labor, and Milt Brandt launched the business still owned and operated by the Brandt family in Healdsburg.

Milt’s sons Joe and Jack bought the business from him in 1982 and have continued to enlist help of family members. Today, Brandt Insurance employes more than 18 people with six members of the Brandt family still working for the business.

“My dad will always have an office here,” said Todd Brandt, Jack’s son. “He loves coming in and you’ll even find him here on the weekends.”

Todd Brandt joined the family business in 1998 wearing all hats as he works as a producer to bring in new business as well as working on IT, marketing and management. Greg Marguglio knew Todd from high school and joined the Brandt Insurance team in 2009 to help grow the business and bring in customers.

“You have to wear a lot of hats in a small business,” said Marguglio. “We all put our heads together every day to see what we can do to keep things running.”

For Brandt Insurance, approximately 65% of their operation is businesses and commercial insurance including workers compensation while the other 35% is personal including home, auto and renters insurance.

Brandt and Marguglio said more than 50% of their customers are agriculture related customers. Many policies may not seem ag related, but they said something as simple as an auto policy for a vineyard manager links back to the ag industry.

For many agricultural operations, one of their larger overheads is workers compensation insurance. Brandt Insurance emphasizes that while rates might be higher for companies employing a lot of manual labor, this is to protect the employees.

Brandt Insurance works with employers to find them the best rates as well as helping them find safety programs that can lower their rates.

“Our goal is to help employers,” said Todd Brandt, “our goal is not to be here and just give quotes.”

For their future, both Brand and Marguglio expect to see business growth. They don’t have any goals to get huge, but they said natural growth is a part of the business. They plan to see family succession in the future as younger generations take more leadership and management roles within the company.

The company knows that one of the things that keeps them unique is their small town business with a family history, something they don’t want to lose.

“We have the resources of a giant insurance agency with hometown customer service,” said Marguglio, “it’s the best of both worlds.”

Brandt Insurance is a proponent of supporting their community. They are involved with local youth sports, FFA programs and high school booster programs. They are active supporters of the Sonoma County Farm Bureau, supporting the causes that Farm Bureau stands for to the best of their ability.

“We are giving back to the community that supports us, it’s cyclical,” said Marguglio, “what goes around comes around.”

For more information visit

Related Articles

Premium Members

To represent, protect and advance the social, economic and educational interests of the farmers and ranchers of Sonoma County.