I’m dedicating this column to my Mom, Joyce Leveroni. She is the All American Mom…Chef, Chauffeur, Director, Designer, Gardner, Seamstress, Volunteer and the list could go on…
I have to thank her for my start in the world of culinary creations…as a wee one, she didn’t mind that I would raid the kitchen and start chopping and mixing and exploring, she didn’t care that I made a mess in her kitchen…but, she also made me clean everything up when I was finished. With that said, here is a SiMpLy SwEeT recipe for all the Moms, for Mother’s Day…hoping you’ll have time to make it the day before so you can ReLaX on the day of smiles.
With the smell of sweet locally grown strawberries calling…I stopped in at the stand on the corner of E. Cotati and Petaluma Hill Rd. By the time I got them home, I was dreaming of a fresh Strawberry Daiquiri…so, you can have your drink and eat it too…“Strawberry Daiquiri Trifle”…ENJOY!!!
Strawberry Daiquiri Trifle
Rum Spiked Lime Curd
- 8 egg yolks, room temp.
- 2 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 3 ½ cups water
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 TBSP. butter
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- 1 TBSP. white rum
- Wisk together egg yolks and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, mix together sugar and cornstarch until completely combined. Slowly add water, mixing constantly to insure there are no lumps. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat and slowly add 2 cups of the hot mixture to the beaten egg yolks, whisking constantly; you want to add this slowly, so as not to make scrambled eggs!
- Whisk tempered egg yolks back into saucepan. Return heat to medium-low. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil. Boil, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Pour curd into a bowl. Stir in lime juice, butter, zest and rum. Place plastic wrap directly on top of curd and refrigerate until chilled. If you need to do this in a hurry; place bowl of curd in an ice bath and stir until cold.
White Rum Bars
- 11 oz. GHIRARDELLI Classic White Baking Chips
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 TBSP. white rum
- 1 TBSP. lime zest (3 limes)
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350’. Line a 13”x9”x1” pan with foil and coat with cooking oil spray; set aside.
- In a medium sized microwave safe bowl, add white chips and butter. Microwave 1 ½ minutes, remove and stir until chips have melted. Whisk in sugar, rum and zest. Then add eggs and whisk to combine.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Add to egg mixture and stir just to combine. Pour into prepared baking pan. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes; until golden brown and top feels firm to the touch.
- Let bars cool completely. Cut into 1 inch squares when ready to assemble trifle.
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- Put mixing bowl in the freezer for 10 minutes; this will help your cream to whip faster.
- Remove mixing bowl from freezer. Add whipping cream and whip on high speed just until cream begins to thicken. Shut the mixer off; add sugar. Continue beating on high speed until cream will form a stiff mound, do not overbeat.
- 3 pints fresh strawberries
- ¼ cup white rum
- Wash and dry strawberries. Remove stems and slice into ¼ inch thick slices, gently toss with rum.
Using a 10 inch round 6 inch deep glass bowl, first layer in ¼ brownie cubes, ¼ of the custard, ¼ of the whipped cream, and ¼ of the sliced strawberries. Continue layering until all ingredients have been used. Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
Note: A little lime zest on top makes a GrEaT finishing touch!!
Cooking time: 45 minutes