As this New Year begins, I will be stepping out of my comfort zone and into a place I never dreamed in a million years…I will be speaking at the California Women for Agriculture’s Annual Convention!!!
Last March I was contacted by Lynn Figone, asking me if I would speak at the CWA 2014 State Convention to be held in Petaluma. Lynn said, “I instantly thought of you and how you intertwine your roots with your love of food and community.” How could I say no? I instantly replied with a “Yes, I would love to speak!” Anyone who has known me all my life, knows that I have spent half of my life painfully shy…I don’t know what I got myself into, but, at this point in my life I have lost all fear! I am excited to share my love of local agriculture and my passion for the wonderful bounty that we have right here in Sonoma and Marin Counties!!! And I would like to congratulate Lynn on being installed as President of CWA. You can find more information on CWA at www.cawomen4ag.com
This is such a delicious way to start the party!! Many years ago, Costco carried a jarred antipasto that I loved…well; you know what happened…they quit carrying it! It prompted me to make my own recipe, and I love my version even more. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
- 2 cups white wine vinegar, divided
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2- 6 oz. cans tomato paste
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 7 oz. pickled cocktail onions, undrained
- 4 oz. sliced pimentos, undrained
- 8 oz. pimento stuffed green olives, undrained
- 1 pint dill pickles, drained and thinly sliced
- 12 oz. Albacore tuna, drained
- 6 oz. small black olives, drained
- 1 small head cauliflower
- 1 cup baby carrots, thinly sliced
- In a small saucepan, stir until combined: 1 cup vinegar, olive oil, tomato paste, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Breakdown cauliflower into small flowerets and put into a large pot with sliced carrots. Cover with 4 cups water and add remaining 1 cup vinegar. Bring to a boil and cook just until al dente, 3-5 minutes. Immediately drain into strainer and let cool.
- In a large glass bowl mix together undrained onions, pimentos and green olives. Add tomato sauce, dill pickles, tuna, black olives and cooked cauliflower and carrots.
- Let chill overnight.
Serve with crackers or cocktail forks.