Some time ago I was invited to a last-minute get-together. When I learned that the hostess was a vegetarian, I threw together butternut squash enchiladas. Just using what I had on hand, I created a recipe that everyone at the party wanted; my neighbor still talks about them. Well, now I’ve put my Italian spin on them and call them “Italian-adas.” They include butternut squash, mushrooms and cheese, wrapped in tortillas and topped with an Italian-themed tomato sauce. Oh yes, and then a little more cheese!
Makes: 8 Servings
- 6 cups butternut squash, ½ in. cubes
- 10 oz. sliced mushrooms (4 cups)
- 1 ½ cups sweet onion, chopped
- 2 TBSP. olive oil
- 2 TBSP. parmesan cheese
Sauce Ingredients (makes 5 cups)
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup sweet onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced (1 TBSP.)
- 2 TBSP. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 14.5 oz. cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- ¾ cup Sherry
- 2 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. sugar
- 8 large flour tortillas
- 12 oz. shredded cheese (I used Spring Hill Pesto Jack)
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a 13x18x1 inch baking sheet with foil. Toss cubed squash, sliced mushrooms and diced onion with 2 TBSP. olive oil and parmesan cheese to coat evenly. Spread in a single layer on baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes until squash is tender, stirring every 10 minutes. While squash is baking, make sauce.
- Heat ½ cup olive oil in a large saucepan. Add 1 cup diced onion and sauté until translucent. Stir in garlic, parsley, tomatoes, tomato paste, sherry and seasonings. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Smear 1 TBSP. sauce down the center of each tortilla. Top the sauce with about ¾ cup of the roasted butternut squash mixture and then sprinkle with 2 TBSP. of the shredded cheese. Roll up burrito style.
- Spread ½ cup sauce in the bottom of a very large baking pan. Place rolled tortillas on top. Spread remaining sauce on top of tortillas and sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and Italian-adas are heated through.