If you love celery as much as I do, you are going to love this simple soup. The recipe was born after my holiday ravioli making. You see, I only use the celery leaves in my ravioli recipe. I’m left with an overabundance of celery…its soup season and I’m on a health kick…sooooo, here ya go. P.S. My husband loves it too.
Simple Celery Soup
- 4 bunches celery, sliced into ¼ inch slices (you should have 10 cups sliced)
- 1 quart chicken stock
- ½ yellow onion
- 2 TBSP. Chimichurri Sauce (recipe follows)
- light sour cream for garnish
- Place sliced celery, chicken stock and onion into a large soup pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes. Remove from heat to cool.
- While soup is cooling, make Chimichurri Sauce. Note: Use the remaining Chimichurri on grilled meats.
- Remove onion from the soup pot and discard. Puree soup in blender in batches. Note: I like to leave a little texture to my soup while doing this.
- Return pureed soup to soup pot. Stir in 2 tablespoons of your Chimichurri Sauce. Heat soup and serve with a dollop of sour cream on top.
Makes 7 ½ cups
Cook time 30 minutes
Chimichurri Sauce makes a wonderful accompaniment to grilled meats…it really brings your taste buds to life!!
- 1 cup fresh parsley, packed
- ¾ cup fresh cilantro, packed
- ¼ cup fresh oregano
- ½ jalapeno
- 6 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. fine sea salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Place fresh herbs, jalapeno and garlic into your food processor. Pulse until chopped. Remove herb mixture to a small mixing bowl and stir in red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.