I recently had the opportunity to meet Dan Magnuson of Soda Rock Farms in Healdsburg and taste some of his heirloom tomatoes. It all began when I invited Jennifer Hedgpeth, owner of SMASH Foods co., to be a guest on “Cooking With Laurie” TV show. Jennifer uses Soda Rock Farms ‘German Striped’ heirloom tomatoes in her “Aggie’s Heirloom Tomato SMASH”. What is ‘SMASH’ you say…’SMASH’ is a tomato relish made with a recipe passed down from Jennifer’s Great-Great Aunt Aggie; it comes in three varieties, each just a little bit different…all are oh, so DeLiCiOuS!!
I knew immediately, after tasting “Aggie’s Heirloom Tomato SMASH” that the flavor profiles would complement my prawn risotto. Dan of Soda Rock Farms explained to me that the ‘German Striped’ heirloom tomatoes are less acidic and slightly sweet…with that…I bit into one…it was amazing, crispy, juicy, sweet and need I say, “Love at first bite”.
SMASHed Prawn Risotto
- 1 ½ cups Aggie’s Heirloom Tomato SMASH
- 1 lb. prawns, shelled and deveined
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 ½ cups Arborio rice
- ½ cup Kendall Jackson Avant Chardonnay
- 1 tsp. saffron threads
- 3 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded Valley Ford Estero Gold Montasio cheese
- In a large heavy bottomed pot, partially cook prawns in the SMASH. The prawns should only be partially pink. Remove SMASHed prawns from the pot and set aside. Note: The reason for doing this is so your prawns and rice will both be cooked to perfection at the end.
- Add butter to the pot and melt. Stir in onion and cook until translucent, stirring.
- Add rice to the pot and cook over medium heat, stirring until just starting to turn golden. Add wine and saffron, stirring until wine evaporates.
- Slowly add broth to the pot, stirring occasionally. This process should take 20 minutes. At the 20 minute mark, stir in your SMASHed prawns. Bring to a simmer to heat prawns through and finish cooking them.
- Stir in grated cheese.
- Mangia!! Serve with Kendall Jackson Avant Chardonnay.
- Makes 4-6 Servings, Cooking Time-30 minutes