I love this time of year…you either have fresh veggies in your garden or know someone who has an overabundance and is willing to share.
This recipe is a spin-off of my “Italian Pinhead Torta”. By omitting the eggs, butter and cheese, and stuffing the mixture into baby bell peppers, I created a vegan recipe for friends. It’s oh, so DeLiCiOuS…and you won’t even miss the butter and cheese!!
Stuffed Baby Bell Peppers
- 1 oz. dried portabella mushrooms, rehydrated in 1 ½ cups boiling water for 10 minutes (reserving the liquid to soak the oats in). After soaking; drain, squeeze dry and dice mushrooms.
- 1 ½ cups Bob’s Red Mill Steel Cut Oats (also known as pinhead oats) soaked in reserved mushroom liquid for 10 minutes.
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cups coarsely shredded zucchini
- ½ cup diced sun dried tomatoes in olive oil, drained
- ½ cup chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tsp. garlic salt with parsley
- 30 baby bell peppers, assorted colors-red, orange, yellow
- 2 TBSP. garlic infused olive oil
- Sauté onion in an 11 inch non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Once onion has become translucent; add the following to the pan: mushrooms, zucchini, sun dried tomatoes, garlic salt and steel cut oats; mix well. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Put mixture into a large bowl and stir in fresh oregano.
- With the peppers lying flat, slice the top off to make a boat. (Save the tops for another use).
- Stuff each pepper with oat mixture. Place on a cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 375’.