This one came to me as I was cleaning my kitchen floor early one morning…I was going to be sharing my pesto recipe at the Sonoma County Fair that day and was trying to think of a clever way to serve it. Over pasta, although delicious, sounded too boring to me! I had just gotten a box of my FaVoRiTe apples, local Graventeins from Walker Apple Farm in Sebastopol, and it hit me…”Pecan-Pesto Gravenstein Apple Salad”. It was a HiT…I made it for my three cooking demo shows that day at the Sonoma County Fair…one audience member even said she was going to make it for her wine club gathering.
Pecan-Pesto Graventein Apple Salad
The tart-sweet taste of Gravenstein apples pairs wonderfully with my fresh Pecan-Pesto Sauce…this is a FuN, ReFrEsHiNg way to eat your apples and surprise your taste buds too.
- 2 cups packed fresh basil
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ cup toasted pecans
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 cups diced Gravenstein apples, washed, (peel on)
- Process basil and garlic in food processor until chopped. Add nuts and pulse until finely ground. Add parmesan cheese and salt.
- With motor running, slowly drizzle in olive oil.
- Toss pesto with diced apples.
- Serve, or chill and serve later. This salad will keep 24 hours in the refrigerator.
Makes 16 servings.